Sunday, June 16, 2013

Planting Tomatoes


This year we are growing 9 tomato plants, 3 in our home garden and 6 in our plot at the Campbell Community Garden. Two varieties that are new to us, Dejena Lee's Golden Girl, and San Marzano Redorta, plus our tried and true Better Boy, Sioux, and German Giant (which had huge fruit last year). The weather has been nearly perfect for getting an early start, some years I wait to get my warm weather plants into the ground until the end of June or even early July, but not this year; we planted the first week of June!

Sioux, German Giant, and Better Boy tomatoes; you can see the peas fenced off to protect them from the dogs  in the background.

As part of my community garden project, I've been working with Straw Bale Films to produce video segments on gardening. You can see my tomato planting technique and the tomatoes in my Community Garden plot below:



No comments: